The Straus Group
Tradition. Focus. Achievement.
Active Managers Who Stand Apart.
We are active investors dedicated to building client wealth through investments in undervalued U.S. equities. Rich in history, our team was founded in 1947 and is led by renowned investor Marvin Schwartz. We believe equity management should be about investing in businesses. In the near term, a stock may move up and down based on broader macro concerns, but eventually its fundamentals will prove essential to equity performance.
An Introduction to The Straus Group
In this video, Marvin Schwartz presents a brief history of Neuberger Berman – its unique culture and client focus– and discusses The Straus Group and their extensive experience, research orientation and work ethic.
The Straus Group at a Glance
Disciplined Investment Process
- Fundamentals-based approach to U.S. mid-cap and large-cap value investing
- Investment process that relies heavily on proprietary research and meetings with company management
- Focus on identifying undervalued companies with strong financial characteristics and shareholder-focused managements
- Hands-on, customized investment solutions for clients
- Direct interaction with Portfolio Manager
- Partner with our clients’ trusted advisors to create multidimensional solutions that can incorporate investment, financial and tax planning, and trust and charitable giving strategies
Investment experience and research expertise
- Rich team history from 1947 when founded by Philip Straus
- Over $7 billion in assets under management for individuals, families and institutions including numerous multi-generational family clients*
- Portfolio managers average 41 years of industry experience across a variety of sectors*
A Rigorous Continuous Research Process
Our research focuses on identifying undervalued companies with strong financial characteristics and shareholder-focused managements. We draw ideas from many sources, including our own proprietary research, Neuberger Berman’s Global Equity Research department, outside analysis of companies and macroeconomic trends, and myriad contacts across many industries.
“There are no secrets. For us, what makes things happen is hard work. If you want to achieve strong equity returns on a long-term basis, we believe you need discipline, process and a willingness to put in long hours, day after day, year after year.”
Integrated Wealth Management Solutions
The Straus Group partners with our clients’ trusted advisors to create multidimensional solutions that can incorporate investment, financial and tax planning, and trust and charitable giving strategies.
We offer customized, risk-balanced strategies designed to help address each client’s needs and goals.
- Separately managed accounts
- Flagship flexible equity, fully invested and fixed income strategies
- Liquidity management
Asset Allocation and Asset Location
We take the time to understand each client’s objectives, needs, time horizons and attitude toward risk across different accounts, and develop customized strategies for each.
- Taxable and tax-deferred accounts
- Trust and custody accounts
We partner with clients and their advisors to help mitigate the impact of taxes and implement investment solutions within wealth transfer strategies.
- Tax-aware investing
- Charitable giving solutions
- Able to deploy Neuberger Berman Trust Company for personal trust and institutional fiduciary services