Corporate Social Responsibility
Positively impacting our community
Through our philanthropic activities, Neuberger Berman seeks to positively impact our community, employees and clients. Our programs leverage the firm's resources, including Foundation and corporate grants, in-kind donations, employee expertise, volunteerism and nonprofit board service. It is at this intersection of leadership, expertise, funding and engagement where our impact is greatest.
The Neuberger Berman Foundation
The Neuberger Berman Foundation is committed to helping at-risk children and youth achieve their potential through educational enrichment and support programs that promote academic success, independence and economic sustainability.
We seek to partner with high-quality organizations that offer programs to:
- Ensure that young children receive essential school readiness and educational enrichment opportunities
- Help older youth on their path to economic independence through training in job readiness, college preparedness and financial literacy
We drive our mission and extend the effectiveness of Foundation grant-making by leveraging the time and talent of Neuberger Berman employees in the greater New York area and other cities where there is a significant employee presence. This translates to working directly with children through mentoring, tutoring and job readiness coaching, as well as providing pro bono assistance to nonprofit staff to increase their capacity to serve their clients.
Strategic Community Partnerships
While we volunteer with over 75% of our grantees globally, three of our key community partners receive the highest level of service from our employees—allowing us to create a positive, critical impact on these organizations and the children they serve.
The Association to Benefit Children (ABC) is a "best-in-class" organization dedicated to fostering academic readiness and life preparedness for disadvantaged children and their families through comprehensive services designed to permanently break the cycle of poverty. ABC receives significant funding from the Foundation and has welcomed hundreds of Neuberger Berman employee volunteers throughout our longstanding collaboration.
Frederick Douglass Academy II (FDA II) is a public school in Harlem that seeks to provide predominantly low-income students with an educational foundation that will enable them to succeed and thrive in and beyond college. Launched in 2015 under the leadership of a committee of dedicated employees, and in partnership with pencil - our alliance focuses on three major areas prioritized by the school: college and career awareness; academic enrichment in mathematics; and school resource development. In 2016, Neuberger Berman was the proud recipient of pencil’s “Emerging Partnership Award” due to our work with FDA II.
Fiver Children’s Foundation is a comprehensive youth-development organization that makes a ten year commitment to children from underserved communities throughout the New York area. Through summer and year-round programming, Fiver empowers children to make healthy decisions, become engaged citizens, and succeed in school, and beyond. Since 2015 NB employees have teamed up with Fiver to create “Fiver Investment Camp”, a signature afterschool financial education program taught by NB volunteers - covering everything from “smart spending” to “money and the economy” to “stocks and bonds”. The Camp ends with a stock market game where Fiver students can put their learning into practice and increase their exposure to the world of investing.
Annual Celebration with Service
Each May, we celebrate the anniversary of our reemergence as an independent company with a global “Celebration with Service”—a week of volunteer projects during which we use our talents to benefit others.
Over the past eight years:
- Over 7,000 volunteers—employees, their family members and friends—have participated in projects in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Dubai, the Hague, Hong Kong, Houston, Los Angeles, London, Melbourne, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Tokyo, Toronto, West Palm Beach, and Wilmington.
- Volunteers have engaged with more than 9,000 children, working on a variety of projects including: reading, helping with homework, making arts and crafts and enhancing computer skills.
- Over 1,100 employees and their guests have donated 4,600 collective hours to beautify our local communities by painting public schools in need, cleaning local parks and gardens and sprucing up community centers.
- Over 1,800 students and adults have enhanced their job search skills through resume building and mock interviews.
- More than 2,000 employees have taken part in other community projects, such as spending time with seniors, caring for cats and dogs at a local animal shelter, sorting donated clothes for the less fortunate and helping adults in need with evening community programs.
Environmental Commitment at Neuberger Berman
Environmental issues are important to us—both in terms of how we as a firm impact the environment and what we can all do individually in our business and personal lives. Our efforts to be more environmentally conscious have also focused on integrating our employees’ suggestions into our everyday business. Some of our “green” initiatives include:
- Relocating our New York office to 1290 Avenue of the Americas, a LEED-certified building
- Utilizing high-efficiency LED lighting and automatic lighting controls throughout the New York office
- Employing water refill stations on all office floors in New York to replace the use of plastic water bottles
- Implementing secure cloud printing and multi-function printer, monitor and PC solutions that conserve energy and reduce print output by 20%
- Conducting an E-Recycle campaign at our New York office to encourage responsible and environmentally friendly electronics disposal
- Offering our employees membership in Katchie Farm’s Community Supported Agriculture, giving them a chance to receive fresh produce delivery at our headquarters weekly during the growing season
- Focusing many of our volunteer projects on improving the environment, including cleaning up local landscapes and helping to plant gardens at an urban farm
Neuberger Berman maintains a Socially Responsive Fund with the belief that good corporate citizenship is a driver of good business. This fund allows investors to support socially responsive businesses.
Neuberger Berman is also a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Investment, the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), the CDP's Water Disclosure Project and the Forest Footprint Disclosure Project.
Below are a few of the high-impact nonprofit organizations we partner with throughout the year:
Pajama Program provides new pajamas and books to children in need, many of whom are waiting to be adopted. These children live in group homes, shelters and temporary housing facilities and are often shuffled from one place to another. These two simple gifts of pajamas and books let the children know that someone cares – sometimes they are the only new things they have ever received.
Future Generation Global Investment Company (FGG) is a Listed Investment Company (LIC) focused on changing the lives of young Australians affected by mental illness through financial support of designated charities. Neuberger Berman is one of 14 investment managers chosen by FGG to build their global equity program, waiving management and performance fees so that FGG may donate 1% of assets per annum to these organizations.
Anixter Center provides an array of services for individuals with disabilities and related challenges to live, learn, work and play in the community. Anixter Center is one of the largest nonprofit organizations in the Chicago area serving people of all ages with disabilities and related challenges.